A Brief History
Lamphey is a village approximately two miles from Pembroke. The village has had a school since 1828. The original church school, next to the church, is now a residential property.
In 1910 a new Education Board school was built on the present site, which consisted on three classrooms for local children aged 5 to 14 years. In 1941 a small kitchen was added so that the children could buy a cooked lunch without giving up rationing tokens.
With the major expansion of housing in the early 1960s the school was completely remodelled. Two of the classrooms were converted into the Hall and four additional classrooms, infant and junior toilets, a new kitchen, staffroom, entrance hall and storeroom were built, and the grounds extended to give a football field.
Two demountable classrooms were erected in the early 1990s, and a further extension of two classrooms were built in 1999. The grounds were extended south of the football field. A new large staffroom was built in the early 2000s.
Over 200 pupils attend the school, coming from both within the village and further afield.
This is an economically advantaged area with eight percent of pupils entitled to free school meals, which is below the local authority and all-Wales average. The rate of pupil mobility is low, and many pupils’ parents are from professional backgrounds.