Curriculum for Wales
This is an exciting time for the young people of Wales. A brand-new Curriculum for Wales has started, designed to enthuse learners aged 3 to 16 and give them the foundations they need to succeed in an ever-changing world.
The New Curriculum will have greater emphasis on equipping young people for life. It will build their ability to learn new skills and apply their knowledge more confidently and creatively. As the world changes, they will be more able to adapt positively. They will also get a deeper understanding of how to thrive in an increasingly digital world, developing digital skills across the curriculum to prepare them for the opportunities and risks that an online world presents.
The purpose of the New Curriculum is to support our children and young people to achieve 4 Core Purposes, which are:
- ambitious, capable learners, ready to learn throughout their lives
- enterprising, creative contributors, ready to play a full part in life and work
- ethical, informed citizens of Wales and the world
- healthy, confident individuals, ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society
- It will have six ‘Areas of Learning and Experience (AoLE)’:
- Expressive arts
- Health and well-being
- Humanities (including RE)
- Languages, literacy and communication (including Welsh)
- Mathematics and numeracy
- Science and technology
It will also include three Cross-Curricular Responsibilities:
- Digital Competence
At Lamphey Primary School we have created a bespoke curriculum steeped in learning opportunities and experiences linked to real world matters, encouraging all pupils to achieve their potential in everything they do.